Sep 23, 2008

Apple Pie

LifeAsMom is hosting a recipe swap about pies. Thought I'd play along since I don't think she's going to be doing her Toolin' Up Tuesday that I posted earlier today. We visited the apple orchard this weekend and I plan on making an apple pie for Saturday. My family will be in town for a fundraiser walk. Thought this recipe (the one my hubby says is the best apple pie he's ever had!) would be a good one to share with you all.


Longaberger's Grandma Bonnie's Homemade Pie Crust and Apple Pie

Pie Crust:
4 cups flour
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups lard
1 egg (beaten)
1 T. vinegar
1/2 cup water
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix together egg, vinegar and water. Add to flour mixture. Mix until dough is moistened enough so it holds together when it is formed into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until well chilled. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12" circle. Fit the dough into Grandma Bonnie's Apple Pie Plate. Crimp the dough to form a decorative border. Pierce the pastry with a fork. Place the crust in the freezer while preparing the filling.
Makes 2 double crust pies.

Apple Pie Filling:
3 cups pared, cored and sliced apples (I leave the skins on, core, cut in half and I use my Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline to slice very thin)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 T. butter or margarine
3 T. flour
3 T. Milk

Preheat oven to 375f. Mix apples, flour, sugar and cinnamon together and gently stir. Place mixture in unbaked pie shell. Dab with butter and pour the milk over the apple mixture. Place lattice or crust top on pie. Bake 40-45 minutes. Filling for 1 pie.

TRUTH:
I use pre-made pie crusts from Pillsbury or store brand (Meijer's is good!).

Join in the pie-making over at LifeAsMom.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I love apple pie.

FishMama said...

Thanks for being so flexible! This looks great.

JessieLeigh said...

Truth be told, I don't like pie. I never eat pie. Sorry!

But I do love the SMELL of apple pie and yours sounds like it would smell scrumptious! : )

Blessings From Above said...

This sounds delish! We were also at an apple orchard over the weekend, this seems like the perfect recipe to use up all of the apples we got.

BTW, I am so glad you mentioned using a store bought crust. I am all for that!

Anonymous said...

Grandma's pie recipes are always the best! My apple pie recipe came from my granny too.

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad to hear that your little one is doing well after her early arrival!

Come visit anytime!