Sep 18, 2008

Thirsty Thursday

Here is my second Thirsty Thursday post... hoping someone else will join in the fun. I finally found a wonderful helper to assist in setting up Mr. Linky (thanks NICOLE!). So this Thursday I have excellent news drumroll please...
Starbucks has their pumpkin spice latte and frappacino back for the fall season. This is wonderful because I love it so much, but it's terrible because I love it so much! We all know Starbucks is expensive and it doesn't help control my "girlish figure" (I use the term loosely as we all know I have more of a "plump figure"). Since Nick and I are desperate to save some money, I went searching for a copy cat recipe. I just found this yesterday, so I have not had the chance to try it out, but seems legit and YUMMY!

As much as I hate to just copy and paste someone elses blog posts, I feel there is no other way to share this with you, so a big huge THANK YOU to Ariela over at Baking and Books for her post about Pumpkin Spice Latte II. Here is her recipe:

Pumpkin Spice Latte II (Ariela's Recipe)

    Ingredients: Makes 2 servings
  • 1 level tablespoon pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup milk (whole if you dare!)
  • 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar (packed and leveled)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg (+ a pinch for dusting later)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups strong coffee (brewed using 2 tbs per 1 cup of water)
    You can also use a shot or two of espresso instead of coffee.
  • 4 tablespoons Coffeemate creamer
  • 4 to 8 teaspoons of granulated sugar
  • Whipped cream

Begin brewing coffee.

In a blender puree the milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour into a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the milk is warm and begins to froth slightly. (About 4-5 minutes.) Remove from heat.

For each serving: Pour 1/2 cup of the pumpkin mixture into your coffee mug. Add 2 generous tablespoons of Coffeemate creamer. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, then add 1 cup of brewed coffee. Add 2 to 4 teaspoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you like your drink, I added 3 tsps.) Top off with a touch more ‘pumpkin milk’ then cover with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.


I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT! THANKS ARIELA!


Now I'm off to search for a copy cat of the Pumpkin Spice Frappacino (both coffee based and creme based). Let me know if you find it first!

Please share your favorite drink recipe in the comments section below, either straight out or with a link back to your Thirsty Thursday post. If you do post a Thirsty Thursday on your blog, please link back to this post so others can join in the YUM!

You may also want to find other yummy comfort foods for fall over at Life As a Mom.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like a great drink. I shared an extremely easy, but tasty one at my site. http://koalamama.blogspot.com/2008/09/thirsty-thursday.html

JessieLeigh said...

Great idea to "make your own" fancy coffee drinks... I'm partial to the gingerbread latte that comes out around Christmas! Other than a few Starbucks runs a year, I just drink my coffee black. So boring. I know.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this!! Their pumpkin spice frappaccino is my favorite drink! :-)I first had it last year and it was SO good!

FishMama said...

I've heard rave reviews about Starbucks. Does this taste like pumpkin pie?

Thanks for linkin' up!

Ryann said...

jessieleigh-
watch for the coffemate liquid creamers in your dairy case this winter. you'll probably find a gingerbread creamer to compliment your black coffee this winter and it will remind you of those gingerbread lattes.

Totallyscrappy said...

I don't even drink coffee and that sounds fabulous.
I found a margarita recipe a while back and I've thought about posting it, but I just haven't yet. I might just have to play along with Thristy Thursday!

nicole green said...

the blog looks great! :) i'm glad we got everything figured out.

tonight was a lot of fun! can't wait to hang out again soon!